The 2021 Classic Boat Awards

Harold Cudmore.jpg

If you’re suffering from Insomnia, here’s something to do at 2am.

Last week in my inbox, I came across a press release for the 2021 Classic Boat Awards and a few names caught my eye. If you are perhaps needing motivation to push on with your own restoration or Naturally a night owl, it could well be worth registering for this online event that due to it’s location, unfolds in the wee small hours of a Southern Hemisphere morning. if the winners from previous years are anything to go by then there should be special boats on show.

The list of speakers caught my eye as they come to this discipline from very different points of view.
Here are a few examples.

Seth Salzmann, skipper of the Alden schooner, WHEN AND IF

Seth Salzmann, skipper of the Alden schooner, WHEN AND IF

Seth Salzmann is the skipper of the beautiful black hulled Alden schooner the WHEN AND IF that featured in the TV series The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. When General (Then colonel) George S. Patton commissioned one of America's greatest designers to conceive him a boat in 1939, he had the ultimate ambition in mind: "When the war is over, and If I live through it, Bea and I are going to sail her around the world."

The WHEN AND IF instagram account is great to follow

Barney Sandeman, go-to broker on the global classic scene.

Barney Sandeman, go-to broker on the global classic scene.

Barney Sandeman is the go-to broker on the global classic scene. His success and dedication in this ‘matchmaking’ is such that he often jokes

“I sometimes feel I’ve got an orphanage and I'm getting the children out to the right families.”

Here’s a link to the Sandeman Yacht Company instagram account.

The legendary, Tom Cunliffe.

The legendary, Tom Cunliffe.

Tom Cunliffe is a legendary British yachting journalist, author and broadcaster.

He learnt to sail in a 22 ft gaff sloop as a teenager on the Norfolk Broads  After studying law at university, he chose not to enter the profession and effectively ran away to sea instead. He has worked as mate on a coasting merchant vessel and skippered private yachts as well as having been a delivery and charter skipper. He has been a qualified yachtmaster examiner since 1978. His many cruises in his own yachts span the Atlantic from the Arctic to the South Atlantic, east to west as far as you can go.

Harold Cudmore.jpg

Harold Cudmore the Irish racing sailor was, in the 1970’s, one of the first sailors to travel the world to compete at international yachting events, especially match racing. In 1986 he became the first non-American to win the Congressional Cup. In the America's Cup Cudmore was heavily involved in several British campaigns during the 1980s. He was also head coach of the 1992 winning campaign America3 and coach for the all-women's campaign in 1995.

Between 1977 and 1993 Cudmore took part in seven editions of the Admiral's Cup - Racing for Ireland, Great Britain, Australia and Germany. In 1989 he was the mastermind ashore for the victorious British team. To this day, Harold Cudmore travels the world, racing in a wide variety of inshore and offshore events. His amazing abilities as a yachtsman are only matched by his talent for storytelling.

Set your alarm and make a strong coffee.
it’s on at 2am AEST on Friday 16th April.

PRESS RELEASE

The 2021 Classic Boat Awards will be presented by Classic Boat group editor Rob Peake, with special guest Harold Cudmore.

We are delighted to welcome guest speaker Barney Sandeman, of the Sandeman Yacht Company. Classic Boat editor Steffan Meyric Hughes and the magazine's columnist Tom Cunliffe will both present awards. The ceremony will also feature the MD of Classic Marine and Suffolk Yacht Harbour Jonathan Dyke, the Commodore of the Gstaad Yacht Club, Manrico Lachia, restoration expert and historian Enrico Zaccagni of Zacboats, naval architect Jack Gifford and the skipper of the US schooner When and If, Seth Salzmann. This year's digital ceremony will reveal the year's best yacht and motoryacht restorations, the best boats built in a traditional style, the best modern classics, as well as the recipients of the Classic Boater of the Year Award and a Lifetime Achievement Award.

The Classic Boat Awards will be broadcast at 4pm UK time on Thursday, 15 April. Please feel free to share this invitation with others who might like to tune in.

Register

//

EDITOR // Mark Chew

Previous
Previous

The Oldest Boat in Australia?

Next
Next

Ngataki- A lesson in adventure for the 21st Century