The News, Culture and Practice of Sailing woodenboats
in Australia, New Zealand & The South Pacific.

RESTORATION Charlie Salter RESTORATION Charlie Salter

Selim & Yvonne #97

Nurminen was regarded as a wizard for his ability to work his chartered Tumlare class yacht YVONNE to windward. He was rarely beaten by the top skippers pitted against him. In YVONNE, he won over 300 races, including 17 State titles, the last 11 in succession.

Read More
RESTORATION Mark Chew RESTORATION Mark Chew

Waitangi-Where She Belongs.

The relaunch of the 1894 Logan Gaff cutter on her 100th birthday, was a turning point in Australian perceptions, of what was possible, and more importantly worthwhile, when it came to the restoration of our sailing heritage.

Read More

Saltash & Diamonds

The Yachting World Keelboat #1 ZEST was presented ‘on the pool’ at Earls Court Boat Show in 1961 and in an article by Yachting World as A-BUILD-HER-YOURSELF DESIGN BY JACK HOLT. In 1967 the boat was renamed the YW Diamond. Here’s Jack sporting hair a la Cosmo Kramer, writes Charlie Salter.

Read More
RESTORATION Sal Balharrie RESTORATION Sal Balharrie

SOS Kalua

In the words of custodian Juha Sironen - “My original plans are not feasible anymore and I am tired. I have brought KALUA home and there she will stay. I will auction her as soon as I get import approval.” The fate of KALUA awaits.

Read More

The Racing Yacht, TERRA LINNA

In March 1886 the now Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania conducted a race to Port Esperance for 28 footers with a sweepstake prize of 10s. per boat. Entries included F Turner’s SUNBEAM, Mr Calder’s MAGIC, Mr Knight’s TERRA LINNA, Mr Lewis’s MILLY, Mr Cheverton’s MABEL, and Mr Maddock’s MYRINE.

Read More

EOS-Goddess of the dawn

On January 16th, 1980 the barometer dropped 4 points and things got hairy.
 Their single sideband radio would receive Radio Moscow in English but all they could receive from Australia was snatches of cricket commentary no weather forecasts.

Read More

The Sharpie Story - Saving Sabre

The collective archives of our nation are suffering slow strangulation by lack of commitment and funding. The National Library of Australia, the National Museum, the National Film & Sound Archive, the ABC and various State Maritime Museums are struggling. Collections are deteriorating and large parts remain undigitised. Archivists, researchers and librarians have been sacked and if retained have been ironically rebranded as Knowledge Keepers or Navigators.

Read More
RESTORATION Sal Balharrie RESTORATION Sal Balharrie

FLIGHT of Fancy

FLIGHT was used as a Patrol Boat on the Tamar River in the last years of the War. Thereafter , she was used as a pleasure craft, the Flag Vessel for the Derwent Sailing Squadron and hosted the Queen and Prince Phillip during the Royal Tour of 1954

Read More
ADVENTURE, RESTORATION Sal Balharrie ADVENTURE, RESTORATION Sal Balharrie

For my Love Of EGRET Part One

Recently I heard, via the SWS grapevine, EGRET is alive - she’s in Beashel’s shed in Elvina Bay. So, this week, for SWS, I’ll rekindle old love and write an article about EGRET. I’ll call Colin and find out what’s going on with the vessel, I believe to be one of the most beautiful in Australia.

Read More

WYRUNA-18 months on

Yes we have been slack. 18 months is too long between updates. We could call “COVID” but really its just time and resources. (Hence the “Donate” button at the top of the page!) So here’s a short update on how the beautiful old lady is coming along….And we promise it won’t be 18 months before the next one!

Read More

SWS IS A SURPRISING SUCCESS STORY

BUT TO CONTINUE, WE NEED YOUR HELP.

Your donation will help us to publish your weekly source of
woodenboat inspiration and grow this unique community.